Wednesday, March 17, 2010

22. Bubble Up Pizza Casserole

Recently I moved back in with my Mom and younger brother in order to help with bills after my grandfather passed away, and really also to be a cohesive family for a while after such a giant hurt. My brother to my surprise has grown up (he is 22) so much in the two years that I was gone. Before I moved out, this boy would not eat anything that had any vegetables in it, or any spices or rice or ...anything. It was nuts. Macaroni and cheese out of a box, and frozen pizza were his idea of home made. Now, I move back in and I find that the only things he wont eat are beans and pineapple. I'm ecstatic! I can now cook things with peppers and onions that everyone who lives with me will appreciate! Now, back to pizza though...my brother still loves pizza very much, and to be honest so do I. So last week (after having made a recipe that was very pizza tasting) when I asked him what he wanted for dinner this week his reply was "pizza". And so goes my exploration into the most notorious of neo-classsic comfort foods...

This is a recipe I have been playing with for a few months now. When I first read it, I decided that it could not possibly taste good. It probably didn't help that all of the originals are on the Weight Watchers online boards - there were no pictures! I don't know how you guys choose or create recipes, but I like pictures! I know that makes me sound like a third grader but I want to see what the intended outcome is or could be! Sometimes just reading a recipe isn't enough to make it sound appetizing, especially when the recipe is low fat or diet or low calorie. So I finally took the plunge with this one and let me tell you, we loved it! I'll admit that I personally think that the Meatloaf Pizza Pie was more filling, but I have been out voted on all counts! I will definitely make this again, and change it up, next time I will use a ton of vegetables to make it more filling (for me)!

Just a note for WW users: Please always double check your own points values!

Bubble Up Pizza Casserole - 7 points per serving
Serves 8
Special Equipment: 9x13 inch baking dish

1 lb lean ground beef
2 tsp. onion powder or 1 onion, chopped
14 oz. tomato sauce (or spaghetti sauce)
1 can diced tomatoes (drained)
2 tbsp (or more!) minced garlic
1 tbsp pizza seasoning (or any combination of italian seasoning you like)
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1 oz pepperoni (I use minis/ optional ingrediant)
1 15oz can reduced fat refrigerated biscuits, quartered (or cut into 6ths if you could only find GRANDS)
1 1/2 cups 2% italian three cheese blend (or any cheese you like!)
Veggies- anything you want, remember that some vegetables can add points on!


1. Preheat oven to 350 F.

2. Brown ground beef over medium heat, stirring to crumble. When all of the pink is gone, drain the excess grease. Note: the more crumbly the meat the better it will mix and spread out making for more even servings.

3. Stir in onion powder or onion, tomato sauce, pizza seasoning, garlic and red pepper.

4. Add veggies if any.

5. Add quartered biscuits; stir gently until biscuits are covered with meat mixture.

6. Spoon mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle on your pepperoni.

7. Bake for 25 minutes.

8. Sprinkle with cheese, and bake an additional 10 minutes or until biscuits are done. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment