Monday, September 28, 2009

9. Gnocchi Florentine

I took this recipe from the September-October issue of Weight Watchers Magazine.

I did not think I was going to like this. I do not like cooked spinach, and I had never eaten gnocchi before. I have to say I am incredibly impressed, I loved it. It was incredibly flavorful! It was also visibly pleasing with the greens and reds and the gnocchi looking so plump. I omitted the onions even though I like them because my room mate is sick and hates them, but I'm sure it would have been even better with!

Gnocchi Florentine - 7 pts per serving
Makes 4 servings (1 cups each w/ 1 tsp Parmesan)

1 17oz package fresh whole wheat gnocchi
1 onion chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/2 lb extra lean ground beef (5% fat or less)
1 2/3 cups fat free marinara sauce
1 10oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 tsp black pepper
4 tsp grated Parmesan cheese

1. Cook the gnocchi according to the package directions.
2. Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over med-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and seasoning. Cook stirring occasionally until the onion is slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the beef and brown, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon for about 2 minutes, Stir in the marinara sauce, spinach and pepper and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes, stirring once halfway through the cooking time.
3. Drain the gnocchi, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the gnocchi and the reserved liquid to the spinach mixture stirring until blended. Cook uncovered until the gnocchi absorbs some of the sauce, about 2 minutes.

Serve sprinkled with the Parmesan.

8 comments:

  1. I love love love gnocchi.

    even if it did take me until I was about...30? to learn how to properly say it :)

    you dont wanna know what I called it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Mizfit, I still sometimes call it No-chee. I know it drives my room mate nuts.

    And apparently I love love love gnocchi too, I would totally make this again!

    Becks it was tasty! I bet your MIL would like this too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always miss the yummy dinners >.<

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look yummy! I'll definitely be back. PS. I secretly hate you for nabbing a sexy UPS man. I bet you make him wear his work uniform at home don't you? I would ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I have a bunch to post next week when I make them, and one on Friday or Sunday.

    HA! Yes, I do like his uniform...sometimes I make him knock on the bedroom door.

    I'm obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Scarlet -

    I found your blog from your comment on Amazon Runner's. Good luck on your journey with weight loss - there are a number of other bloggers I've found who have PCOS as well. You're in good company. I mainly want to encourage you to show up for that walk you mentioned in 7 days. Even if you can't do the whole thing, the inspiration will be great! Check out my blog if you get a chance. Nice to meet 'ya!

    ReplyDelete